The Cost of Bariatric Surgery in Mexico
If you pay close attention to the weight loss industry, you’ve been told over and over how “easy” it is to lose weight; however, for most people is never an “easy” road. After many efforts and product investments spent each many people end up disappointed and still obese or overweight. For this and many other factors, some people have chosen to have surgery done to help in reducing their excess weight for long term.
Bariatric surgery highlights:
- The various bariatric surgery procedures have proven to help in causing weight loss as it is known to assist in the reduction of the amount of food that the stomach can hold, which then leads to malabsorption of nutrients or even a combination of both malabsorption and gastric restriction.
- Bariatric procedures have also been found to bring about a positive change in hormones as well.
- Most of the weight loss surgeries have been able to be performed using minimally invasive techniques (laparoscopic surgery).
- Giving the dramatically improved safety of bariatric surgery in the past 10 years, not having surgery is more dangerous than having surgery for morbidly obese patients in the long term.
- In addition to improving health and longevity, bariatric surgery can increase quality of life by increasing mobility, self-esteem, ability to work, and social interactions. Depression and anxiety are also often significantly reduced following bariatric surgery.
Even though bariatric surgery is not a decision that you should take lightly, this option has emerged on the last few decades as one of the best and more reliable choices to lose substantial amounts of weight and decrease the risk of dying from an obesity related health disease. However, people need to be conscious and understand that weight loss surgeries usually are costly and not everyone can afford it. Luckily, nowadays people have plenty of options all over the world to get weight loss surgery for a more affordable and convenient prices.
The prices for bariatric surgery normally differ depending on a few factors:
- The type of bariatric procedure
- The hospital or surgical facility
- The bariatric physician
- Location / City / Country
- Transportation and other complementary amenities
There’s no doubt that Mexico is a first option when it comes to medical tourism. Mexico is one of the places where bariatric surgery has been known to be very prevalent and affordable as well. Below you can find an image with the different price ranges of the various countries and the multiple procedures against the price per surgery.
Self-Pay Bariatric Surgery Cost
Even though, bariatric surgery is manly performed to improve patients’ health and solve many obesity related health problems, in most countries, bariatric surgery is typically not covered by medical insurance, then the average cost that patients have to incur is approximately $16,000- $20,000 (Canada or the United States). For this and other reasons, American and Canadian patients end up in foreign countries self-paying their surgical procedure within their own budget.
Bariatric Surgery packages in Mexico
Various bariatric surgery providers have been able to partner with other bariatric specialists in Mexico, hence, slashing the prices that one was to incur if they had opted to do the surgery anywhere else. At the end of the whole experience, patients can get an all-inclusive package for a very reasonable rate. Doing prior research on the company options and looking at reviews is an excellent way to get acquainted with best.
Some things that may be included in the various bariatric surgery packages that patients can get include:
- Transport to and from the airport
- Preoperative tests
- Hotel and / or recovery house stay
- Surgeons cost
- Gastrointestinal leak tests
- Surgical facility costs
- Take-home medication (pain medication, antibiotic, etc.)
- Medical tourism insurance
Before making a final decision or placing a deposit, it’s important to make sure of the benefits included in your weight loss surgery package. Just as a disclaimer, some weight loss surgery companies typically claim to have an all-inclusive price that they will be able to work with and give the services mentioned, however, they may end up loading one with some hidden fees for various things such as “extra” medication, having a companion or even transportation.
Is Bariatric Surgery Investment Worth?
A most individual who opts to get a bariatric surgery commonly are known to suffer from obesity-related health problems such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, heart diseases just to mention but a few. Managing such conditions has proven to be very costly as one has to get frequent doctor’s visits and also buy medication for the various ailments. However, with bariatric surgery, one can lose weight which then can make one have minor occurrences of these obesity-related illnesses. From a financial point of view, having a bariatric surgery done is an excellent investment. This goes beyond even finances, as patients can feel good about themselves mentally, physically and even psychologically which goes a long way in improving one’s recovery process and have a positive attitude towards the whole treatment.
Some extra costs to consider before bariatric surgery include:
- Nutritional supplements such as vitamins, proteins, and minerals
- Nutritionist appointments
- Gym membership
- New clothes as one lose weight
- Cosmetic surgery to remove the excess skin once one has been able to lose the excess weight which is entirely optional
Gastric Sleeve Self-Pay Cost: The procedure includes typically the removal of 70 to 80 percent of the stomach which is an efficient way of treating severe obesity. This bariatric procedure it is entirely irreversible. Due to this fact patients can get long-lasting results which can be considered as a good investment. This is the most affordable procedure that may be offered by bariatric surgery provides as compared to the rest.